I have another lamp makeover to reveal! I sourced a large, battered brass lamp and a decent-sized drum shade from Goodwill. I’ve repainted several brass lamps in the past, but only because they’ve been beyond repair. I’m not totally averse to brass–just allergic to those items that are superrrr grimy. I really liked this lamp in particular because it has great curves at its base. Only had to invest a combined $10.94 for both pieces–$6.97 for the lamp and $3.97 for the drum shade. Not a terrible day’s haul. I decided on spray painting the lamp gold and covering the shade in a 2 inch wide navy ribbon.

Navy Ribbon Shade and Gold Lamp

Navy Ribbon Shade and Gold Lamp

Since the base would be the least labor intensive part of the project, I decided to tackle that first.

Nothing like spray paint on a sunny day!

Nothing like spray painting to make a sunny day even brighter!

Don’t forget to give the lamp a good scrub before painting! The paint won’t adhere as well to a bumpy, gritty surface as it will to clean, smooth one. And be sure to remove that price tag! I love Goodwill just as much as the next person does, but not enough to immortalize its label in my project. I primed the lamp first with a basic white spray primer then coated it in a Rustoleum gold tone.

Next step. lamp shade. I picked this one up because it has a classic shape and is large enough to accommodate the size of the lamp base. In its original shape, its nothing to write home about. The crinkled fabric makes the lamp dated, but it was in good shape, and the price was right.

Lamp shade is ready for a revamp!

Lamp shade is ready for a revamp!

I made a small cut in the fabric and was able to rip the whole thing off in one piece. Luckily the material hadn’t been attached with too much adhesive.

Shade already improving!

Looking better already!

I had picked up a roll of navy blue ribbon a while ago for $4 at a thrift store. I really liked how the navy complemented the “new” shiny gold lamp.

Rollin' in ribbon

Rollin’ in ribbon

I measured the shade and cut the strips of ribbon. The base of the shade is slightly larger than the top is, so I cut the strips of ribbon in increasingly longer pieces. With a ribbon width of just over 2″, I needed 8 pieces total.

Ready for wrapping!

Ready for wrapping!

My favorite type of adhesive for projects like this is Beacon’s FabricTac. It dries clear and holds super well. I added a thin strip of glue around the top of the shade. Don’t add too much glue at once though! It does dry somewhat quickly.

Any type of strong adhesive would probably work just as well.

Any type of strong adhesive would probably work just as well.

Working top down, I wrapped the smallest piece of ribbon around the shade. I added a dab of glue to the end of the ribbon and cut away the excess.

One down, seven to go!

One down, seven to go!

The next bit got a bit tricky. Because the shade isn’t a perfect drum shape, the ribbon won’t wrap neatly around the shade without some help. I tried to wrap the ribbon around the shade, but it bunched because the diameter of the shade is larger at the bottom than it is at the top. To correct this issue, I made a bunch of small cuts in the ribbon before I glued it to the shade. I found making a 1cm vertical cut every inch or so allowed me to wrap the ribbon around the shade in a straight line. If I had found a straight cylinder shade, I could have skipped this step.

Ribbon surgery. No sedation required.

Ribbon surgery. No sedation required.

To cover the slits, I made sure to slightly overlap the ribbon pieces. I found the best way to ensure straight lines was to turn the shade on its side and glue the ribbon down in small sections.

Pull the ribbon slightly to prevent crooked lines.

Pull the ribbon slightly to prevent crooked lines.

I kept gluing and wrapping, gluing and wrapping, gluing and wrapping, until all eight pieces were tightly secure. All that was left to do was address the back of the lamp shade where the seams of ribbons met.

Under wraps...

Under wraps…

Even though this side of the shade would be facing the wall, I wanted it to look less messy. I cut another piece of ribbon and glued it down vertically to cover the uneven seams.

Seems much better!

Seems much better!

I ended up really liking how the vertical piece of ribbon broke up the shade. I cut three more pieces of ribbon the same size and glued them equidistant apart–at 12 o’clock, 3 o’clock, and 6 o’clock. I like these extra pieces–they add a subtle interest without being overpowering.

All wrapped up!

All wrapped up!

All in all, I’m pretty happy with the transformation. I invested less than $15 in this project and have plenty of navy ribbon left over to be used in other crafts. In hindsight, I could have attempted a more intricate ribbon design–maybe by using a few different types of ribbon and weaving them together. I guess that means I’ll have to pop by my favorite thrift stores again…

Finished!

Finished!

Happy crafting! -Olivia

 

 

 

 

Share LivSplendidly...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on Reddit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation